Frequently Asked Questions 


Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation 


Q: How do I find out if someone is in your jail?

A: You can call 201-395-5600 ext. 5085

Q: When will an inmate go to court after being arrested?

A: Once arrested, the inmate has 48 hours to be seen by or have their arrest reviewed by a judge.  This is called their First appearance hearing.  Whether the inmate goes the day after arrest or the next day will depend on many factors. At this time the judge can release him/her, set bail/bond amount or detain him/her in jail.

Q: Where can I reach a social worker?

A: You can reach a social worker by calling 201-395-5600 ext. 5070,5074,5075,5078

Q: Where do I call for bail/bond information?

A: To access bail information call 201-395-5600 ext. 5085

Q: How do I add funds to a tablet account?

A: To set up an account log onto and follow the instructions. 

Q: How can I deposit money in an inmate’s telephone account?

Q: How do I deposit money on an inmate’s commissary account?

Q: How do I schedule a video visit?

A: You can create an account by visiting

Q: What are the on-site visiting hours?

A: For on-site scheduling, you can visit

Q: What can I bring an inmate?

A: No items may be brought in for inmates. inmates receive 3 meals per day but if the inmate has money on their canteen account, they may purchase additional food and hygiene items.  If you wish to put money on their canteen account, cash may be deposited in a kiosk located in the lobby of the jail.  Postal Money orders may be mailed to the inmate, and they will be added to their account. Credit cards may also be used at the kiosk or online.

Q: Will you accept trial clothes for an inmate?

A: Yes. Once the inmate is scheduled for trial, you can bring the trial clothes to the front lobby no more than one week prior to the trial. This can be arranged through the social services deptartment.

Q: Can an inmate release their property to me?

A: Yes, property can be released to family or friends after the inmate completes a property release form via the social worker. Property is released Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm A government-issued photo ID is required to receive the property.

Q: Are there certain hours when inmates are released?

A: No. We release inmates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Q: Can I write to an inmate?

A: Yes. All incoming mail is scanned.  The letter can be addressed to an inmate using the US Postal Service address:

Hudson County Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation
35 Hackensack Ave
Kearny, NJ 07032

Q: How do I notify someone about medical or mental health concerns for an inmate?

A: Medical concerns can be addressed to the medical office at 201-395-5600 ext. 5059

Mental health concerns can be addressed to the mental health office at 201-395-5600 ext. 5092

Important Note: Medical and mental health staff cannot discuss medical diagnosis or treatment plans. They can only listen to your concerns, they cannot give out information.

Q: What should I do if I am receiving unwanted calls from an inmate?

A: You can refuse the call. You can have your number blocked from the jail system by pressing 9 when asked to accept the call.

Q: Where can I report a complaint?

A: You can report a complaint by calling the Internal Affairs Bureau at 201-395-5600 ext. 5185

Translate »