Frequently Asked Questions 


Department of Family Services


Q: Where can I find information online about all the NJFamilyCare Medicaid programs?

A:You can visit the state website at

Q: How can I apply for NJFamilyCare Medicaid?

A: There are several ways to apply:

Online at The website will ask you to create a NJFamilyCare account using a valid email address before starting the application.

By mail- Complete the paper application and send it to the Hudson County Department of Family Services. You can get a copy of the paper application online or by contacting our office.

Q: After I am approved for Medicaid, how do I know what insurance I have?

A: NJFamilyCare Medicaid offers 5 HMO plans: Aetna, Amerigroup, Horizon NJ Health, United Healthcae, and Wellcare. Information about these insurance plans, including contact information, can be found online at

Q: If I lost my Medicaid card, how can I get a replacement?

A: To replace your state health benefits card (blue and white card), you must call 1 (877) 414-9251.

To replace your HMO card, you need to call the HMO directly.

Q: How do I arrange for a home health aide for my elderly parents?

A: After being approved for Medicaid, a person automatically enrolled with an HMO plan. You would contact the HMO and ask to speak to a care manager who will help you set up the home health aid services.

If the person does not have Medicaid or is not eligible for Medicaid, home health aide services may be arranged through the Hudson County Office on Aging. Their office number is (201) 369-4313.

Q: How do I apply for SNAP?

A: The most convenient way to complete an application is to apply online at following website:

Q: Am I eligible for SNAP?

A: Eligibility for SNAP program depends on certain requirements, please visit site below for more information. 

Translate »