About the Division of Children and Youth Services
The Division works to expand opportunities and services for children and youth in Hudson County and to provide oversight and coordination of Federal, State and County-funded activities and programming for young people.
Who We Are:
The Division has oversight of County activities related to children, youth and young adults, 0-21, and acts as a County liaison to the New Jersey Department of Children and Families and the New Jersey Juvenile Justice Commission. The Division engages parents, youth, youth serving organizations and systems and other community stakeholders to inform its planning and programming, including the identification of needs within the community and assistance with forming the best response to meet these needs.
What We Do:
- Convening the Hudson County Youth Services Commission to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate a community-based plan of services for youth involved, or at risk of involvement in, the Juvenile Justice System.
- Administering funds awarded to the County Youth Services Commission from the New Jersey Juvenile Justice Commission for programming to serve youth involved, or at risk of involvement in, the Juvenile Justice System.
- Monitoring and administering contracts for the detention of justice-involved young people from Hudson County.
- Providing training and support to schools to help reduce and prevent school violence, improve student social and emotional well-being and create safe, trauma informed learning environments through a grant from the United States Bureau of Justice Assistance.
- Convening the Children’s Interagency Coordinating Council, which acts as the County liaison with the Department and Children Families’ Children’s System of Care, to review and improve the delivery of services to Hudson County’s young people with emotional or behavioral, substance use and intellectual/developmental challenges.
- Convening the Hudson County Youth Leadership Council focused on promoting civic engagement and leadership in Hudson County’s young people.
- Conducting community-based planning, including a semi-annual needs assessment for the New Jersey Department of Children and Families.
- Administering and monitoring of funding for special projects, including the Credible Messenger Program and American Rescue Act-funded youth mental health and wellness initiatives.
- Overseeing the Hudson County Rutgers University Cooperative Extension, including the 4-H youth program.
- Providing resources and information regarding services for children and youth in Hudson County including the provision of trainings and referrals.
Samantha Moore, Division Chief
T: 201-369-5280 ext. 4241